Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Julius Caesar Acting

I have chosen the part in which Decius persuades Caesar to go to the capitol. Caesar decides not go to the capitol because his wife, Calpurnia, has a dream about Caesar statue spouting out pure blood like a fountain. Decius convinces Caesar to come by re-interpreting by saying that the dream signifies Caesar as the life line for the whole of Rome and that they have come to wash their stains instead of bathing their hands in it happily. Decius also tell Caesar that the senate has decided to crown Caesar on that very day and if Caesar does not come, he may not get the crown. This makes Caesar angry at his old decision and then decides to go to the capitol with all the conspirators.

This passage is very significant because if Caesar hadn't gone to the capitol, the assassination wouldn't have taken place and the whole plan would have been ruined. Without the assassination, there wouldn't have been a conflict in the story and it wouldn't be able to go on.

Act 2 Scene 2 lines 65 - 107

Caesar: Shall Caesar send a lie?
Have I in conquest strech'd mine arm so far,
To be afreard to tell greybeards the truth?
Decius, go tell them Caesar will not come.

Decius: Most mighty Caesar, let me know some cause,
Lest I be laugh'd at when I tell them so.

Caesar: The cause is in my will: I will not come;
That is enough to satisfy the Senate.
But for your private satisfaction,
Because I love you, I will let you know:
Calpurnia here, my wife, stays me at home.
She dreamt tonight she saw my statue,
Which like a fountain with an hundred spouts
Did run pure blood; and many lusty Romans
Came smiling, and did bathe their hands in it.
And these does she apply for warning and portents
And evils imminent; and on her knee
Hath begg'd that I will stay home today.

Decius: This is all amiss interpreted;
It was a vision fair and fortunate:
Your statue spouting blood in many pipes,
In which so many smiling Romans bath'd'
Signifies that from you great Rome shall suck
Reviving blood, and the great men shall press
For tinctures, stains, relics, and cognizance.
This by Calpurnia's dream is signified.

Caesar: And this way have you well expounded it.

Decius: I have, when you have heard what I can say:
And know it now. The Senate have concluded
To give this day a crown to mighty Caesar.
If you shall send word you will not come,
Their minds may change. Besides, it were a mock
Apt to render'd, for some one to say,
'Break up the Senate till another time,
When Caesar's wife shall meet with better dreams.'
If Caesar hide himself, shall they not whisper,
'Lo, Caesar is afraid'?
Pardon me, Caesar; for my dear dear love
To your proceeding bids me tell you this,
And reason to my love is liable.

Caesar: How foolish do your fears seem now, Calpurnia!
I am ashamed I did yield to them.
Give me my robe, for I will go.

Duet
Decius: Me (Saksham)
Caesar: Rohil

No comments:

Post a Comment